ABOUT VYLIZA MONASTERY
It is located near Matsuki, built in a narrow-lying area (ground, horizontal, flat and smooth) on the slope of the Kritharia mountain above Matsoukiotiko Rema at an altitude of 1050m and in a particularly wild landscape and scenic over a cliff overlooking the gorge, where the three tributaries of Arachthos mingle. The word Vyliza comes from the Latin word vigilo meaning “guardian, watchful”. Besides, its position and its fortuitous construction with the loopholes justifies this name.
Traditionally the Monastery was founded in the 11th century. But the most ancient written testimony of Vyliza is the icon of St. John the Baptist dating back to 1676.
The monastery was one of the most important monasteries of Epirus in the past years, it had a rich library and had a great participation in the local community.
In 1893, however, the monastery was abandoned and then destroyed.
Since 1981, however, the monastery has been restored and today it is actually a jewel. To visit it some follow the 2 km trail that starts outside the village of Matsouki with a duration of about 30-40 minutes.
The monastery is dedicated to the Annunciation and celebrates on 25 March and 15 August.