ABOUT KATO PEDINA
As a settlement Kato Pedina is known from the Byzantine Era, being one of the oldest villages of Zagori. The first written mention of the name is found in the chrysobull of Andronikos II Palaiologos in 1321. In the 1361 chrysobull it is mentioned as a large and rich settlement (Sudena = sudis, cold), which thanks to its fertile plateau and the Kalamas valley (Today Kalpaki) it was the granary of Zagori.
Excavations in the plain of the settlement with its six stone wells and the “royal road” that runs through it, brought to light the ancient graveships of the 1st and 2nd centuries, the findings of which are kept in the archaeological museum of Ioannina. Some time between the 15th and 16th centuries, some of its inhabitants, along with residents from the nearby village (Ano Pedina 1 km), moved from the Ottomans to the Peloponnese. There, in Kalavryta, Achaia, in an area where the relief of the land is similar to their place of origin, they establisedh the Upper and Lower Sudena (today’s name Ano-Kato Lousoi) of the Peloponnese.
History and Information
Kato Pedina is built amphitheatrically on three hills. It met great development from the late 16th to the middle of the 20th century. At the time, the largest network was built in the area, warehouses and wells were also built, a fan-shaped community network of cobbled paths and paths was constructed and schools and temples were erected in and near the village.
The decline of the settlement began with the end of the war and it was completed in the 1960s. In spite of the adversities, the settlement during the summer months is full of life, preserving its stone-made form with several reconstructed houses, with its very lively traditional main café / restaurant open all year round, with important cultural activities every summer.
On the plain in the front, the wheat of all the villages was produced, so in Kato Pedina you will find the traces of another era, many threshing floors, where in the old days people worked blazing and churning and all this was a feast.
A summer and beautiful image is also the afternoon ride on the main road between the village and the plain shortly before sunrise. The end is of course to the village square until late hours.
It is worth seeing:
The church of Taxiarches, which has been characterized as one of the 350 best preserved landscapes of Greece, “a special natural beauty”. The temple appears to have been erected for the first time in the 14th century and it was completely restored in 1611/12. Since 1749 it has frescoes with the ancient Greek philosophers, crafted by Anastasios II Kapesovitis.
The church of Agios Athanasios, a three-aisled basilica with a dome with arched galleries on the north and south side and wood-carved icon screen and icons.
The Girls’ Building (Parthenagogeion) (1910).