Leptokarya is a mountainous settlement at the ends of Mount Tymphi, 63 km northeast of the city of Ioannina, and until 1927 it was called Liaskovesti and was renamed Leptokarya. It belongs to central Zagori and is located at an altitude of about 1000 km.
History and Information
It is a beautiful village, in the green, with lots of water, beautiful gardens and fruit trees. Historically, it belongs to the cultural units of Middle Zagori and the villages of the Valley of the Zagoritikos River (Lakka, Zagori). It has some old houses but does not have the traditional color waiting to be seen in a Zagorohori, because in the recent past it was burned twice completely. For the first time in 1912 by the Turks and second in 1943 by the Germans.
We do not know when the original settlement was created, nor why it got its old name, which had various variants, such as Liaskovetsi, Liaskovitsi, Lisakovikon, Lisakovikion, Lisakovets, Lieskoviki. However, the Vlachs were dominating with their particular character and the Vlach language, which was spoken in these regions and also the settlement existed prior to the conquest of the Turks (1430). Later, however, it was dismantled by the frequent prey raids of Karamourates and Koloniates, and many residents were forced to leave the settlement and seek shelter mainly in Megalo Papigo. (brackets: The Karamouratates and the Koloniates were Arvanitian genders that in the 17th century were paralyzed, equipped and turned into persecutors and robbers of the productive villages. The destruction of most villages is also dated at this period).
From 1732 onwards, residents from the surrounding villages as well as Northern Epirus began to settle. Among them was the great Exarchou family whose member was Pantazis Exarchou who was great man. In the period 1750-1830 the village had a great commercial, financial and intellectual progress, having a Greek school since 1780 and counting 607 inhabitants according to the data of the Ottoman Statistics.