Fragades is a village of the prefecture of Ioannina in the municipality of Tymphi and one of the oldest Zagorohoria. More specifically, it is located on the southern slopes of Tymfi, 50 kilometers northeast of Ioannina and it is built at an altitude of 960 meters. What’s more, it is surrounded by dense forests and spectacular views of eastern Zagori.
The population of the village according to the 2001 census is 105 residents, who mainly deal with livestock farming and mostly with logging. However, in the 1903 census, Fragades numbered about 900 residents, including around 130 mansions built with stone by the famous builders of Epirus.
History and Information
The settlement is one of the oldest since it is mentioned in notes of the Voutsa Monastery of Greveniti.
According to I. Lampridis, the name comes from the village headman, Antonio Frago, who in 1384 murdered the Serbian ruler of Ioannina, Thomas Preloumbo.
In the beginning it was a small settlement of cattle breeders and cultivators of fields and vineyards. In 1583, it significantly increased its population, when residents from the surrounding settlements gathered in it.
In the following years, the history of the village followed that of the wider region of Zagori. When the Turks occupied Ioannina they declared voluntary submission along with other Zagorochoria, even promising to send money and soldiers (Boinikos) to the city every year.
By signing the special treaty of voluntary submission, known as the “Declaration of Sinan Pasha” or the “Treaty of Boinikos”, they secured the very important privileges granted by the Turks as a reward, such as independence, autonomy, secularism, exemption from taxation, freedom from captivity or raising children, running schools, preserving property, etc., which the inhabitants preferred to the destruction of their village, which would have happened if they had not declared submission.
The prosperity of the village attracted residents from neighboring villages to settle in Fragades. Of course, wealth also attracted robbers. And as Lampridis writes in 1855, I. Kakarantzas entered the village with his gang of 70 robbers and whoever they found in the square they captured, then they entered all the houses and abused the inhabitants, looted and threatened and even cut the ears of some unfortunate. But because they were chased by the inhabitants of Liascovetsi (Leptokaria) they were forced to leave the prisoners.
Source: Ioannis Lampridis, Ηπειρωτικά Μελετήματα, τεύχος 9, σελ. 62-63
The village was liberated from the Turks on February 12, 1913. It was also burned down during the Second World War but its inhabitants rebuilt it.
What to see in Fragades
The special architecture of the stone houses blends harmoniously with the green, wild and unspoiled natural landscape. The colors of nature change according to the season, but they are equally magical, winter and summer. The village is very picturesque with wonderful old stone-built mansions.
Near the square is the stone-built church of Agios Dimitrios with the hexagonal bell tower, a typical example of Zagoritic architecture.
The village has three beautiful stone bridges outside the settlement: Bogdani’s (or Bogdan’s) which is single-arched at a relatively remote point. The bridge of Rοustara over the stream of Lina and the bridge of Petsoni (or Pitsioni or Petsioni) which is double-arched and is located below the village of Fragades, on the road to Liascovetsi (Leptokaria).
Also, the monasteries of Agios Nikolaos (in ruins today) and Panagia at the highest point of the village, as well as the small church of Prophet Ilias above the village at the top of a hill at 1250m. stone-built with a tiled roof.
Among the sights are also the old Watermill of Valekas and the Mill of Alexandris, only externally repaired. The two water mills have been classified as preserved monuments.
The settlement is located in the main zone of protection of the Pindos National Park and therefore the amazing landscape is offered for car journeys (4X4) on dirt roads or hiking in forest paths during the summer months and accompanied by an experienced guide to avoid unpleasant encounters with bears or wild boar.
The local festival is organized every year around the celebration of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary on August 15th. Usually the festival starts on the evening of August 14 and lasts for 2 days. In recent years, on the day of the celebration, a one-day festival has been organized, which starts around noon.
Food – Accommodation
Guesthouse Petroto – A very beautiful guesthouse